As an Environmental Leader hotel, our Ogunquit resort often receives e-newsletters, emails and snippets on green hotels, eco-efforts and various environmental news. It is fascinating and exciting to see the ideas and innovations coming out of the green movement.
Recently a friend of the Meadowmere sent along a website on legislation for getting kids outdoors. It seems there is a movement out there called ‘No Child Left Inside’. The premise is that we should help our children connect with the outdoors (which oddly sounds like a nice way of saying ‘Kids – Get outside and play! You’re driving me nuts!’). However these formal outdoor programs go beyond giving mom some relief from cabin fever and also offer environmental education – topics like water safety, identifying wildlife and historical trails. All in the efforts of curing ‘Nature deficit disorder’, according to authors and articles.
Here are Top Outdoor Winter Activities in Ogunquit. Now, go outside and play!
1) Sledding – Who doesn’t work up a sweat reaching the top of a hill and a good laugh flying down? Enjoy local sledding at the York Country Club and at Cape Neddick Country Club – both are just minutes from downtown Ogunquit.
2) Ice skating – A classic winter sport and tons of fun at the Lobster Park on Route 1 in Ogunquit. Directly across from Beach Plum Farm, once the ice is good, signs go up and let the skating begin!
3) Explore Laudholm Farm – Just north in Wells, Laudholm provides year round educational programs, including Owl Prowls and Winter Animal Tracking. Winter Family Fun days are an opportunity to learn more about this National Estuarine Reserve. Or plan your own special outing with guided tours such as Tremendous Trees and Signs of Wildlife Walk.
4) Cross Country Ski – At Harris Farm in Dayton, there are over 500 acres of dairy and tree farm to enjoy. The warming hut house offers a cozy wood stove and homemade treats. Not into skiing? Try snowshoeing or sledding too.
5) Horseback riding – Tally hoe! Mount up at Walker Stables in Ogunquit and take a trail ride through the Maine woods or giddy up on Ogunquit Beach. If you’re not yet ready to ride off into the sunset, enjoy a lesson – group or private are available.
6) Surf Ogunquit Beach with Liquid Dreams – Yes, we surf in the winter in Maine – And we enjoy it too! Check out pictures of winter surfing in Maine. With today’s wetsuit technology, you’ll be toasty as you hang ten!
7) Outlet Shopping in Kittery – With all the walking store to store and lifting those full shopping bags, we had to include the Outlets. With miles of stores and great deals, you can finish your holiday shopping along America’s Maine Street for Shopping. (This one’s more for Mom!)
9) Sleigh Rides from Rockin’ Horse Stables – Sleigh bells ring, are you listen’, in the lane snow is glisten’, a beautiful sight, happy tonight, in a Winter Wonderland! With miles of trails, gather the family and take a sleigh ride in the peaceful woods of Maine.
10) Meadowmere’s Outdoor Jacuzzi – We realize not everyone wants to put on a rubber suit, grab a surf board and hang out in 40 degree water – even if it is an effort to ‘connect with nature’! For those who are a little less adventurous, stop by the front desk, pick up a pool towel and settle into the 103 degree waters of our outdoor hot tub. So Mom, even if you can’t get the kids outside, just sit back, breathe that Maine air and relax – at least you’re outdoors in Ogunquit.