Mark at Liquid Dreams is a guy who loves what he does. From outfitting the little ones for surf camp to finding the best boards to cool clothing like Andy Davis tees, he’s way into surfing. Today in the York Country Coast Stay, Mark and fellow surfers share some tips on learning to surf.
Here are the surf tips from the article:
1) Steer clear of other surfers. You don’t need the biggest or the best waves, so don’t hog them. You can still get a good ride closer in and other surfers will thank you for it.
2) Make sure you have the right equipment. Full wet suits at least 3 mil thick are best, and long boards make it easier to get yourself up. Pass up the pointy-ended boards, too – you’re not ready for those yet.
3) Know your tides. Long Sands in York, Wells and Kennebunk beaches are good in any tide, while Ogunquit waves are better at low tide.
4) Check out the web sites for wave conditions before you head out – Be sure to know about tides, wind and waves.
5) Consider taking a few lessons. You can learn on your own, but a few good lessons will save you months of hard work.
Check out Liquid Dreams surf lesson schedule and if you want to learn to surf but aren’t from the area, there’s also our Learn to Surf getaway package.
And like the article says – don’t worry about the water – wet suits are a must and will keep you plenty warm!