We just saw an article about cool things to do for free this summer – all in the Seacoast area. So we figured we would come up with our own list for our guests. A collection of attractions and activities in Ogunquit that will cost a grand total of nuthin’ when you are here. Nada. Zero. Not even gas.
Yep – not a penny.
Top Summer Activities In Ogunquit – For Free!
1) The Beach! No wait you say – between traffic and parking this one has hidden fees. But for someone who knows the inside information, Ogunquit Beach is free. Walking distance from the Resort, a 15 minute walk will save you gas and parking fees. And when the drive is 45 minutes with traffic, a 15 minute walk will also give you 30 more minutes of beach time! For free!
2) Marginal Way – One of the most painted landscapes in Maine and the inspiration for many of Maine’s famous artists. Take a right out of our north parking lot and at the end of the road you will find Marginal Way’s entrance. Follow this mile and a quarter path to see spectacular surf, beautiful gardens and rolling waves. Bring a camera for amazing pictures and you’ll have a masterpiece memory – without spending a dime!
3) Ogunquit Heritage Museum -Take a right out of our north parking lot and about 50 yards down on your left will be the Captain James Winn House, home to the Ogunquit Heritage Museum. With Free Admission, the kids can explore a replica Lobstermen’s Shack and soon see the new Dory. The Museum highlights the art, marine and architectural history of Ogunquit.
4) Window Shop (yes – this one is straight from their list – but we like it!). Walk to the village center (about 5- 10 minutes) and take in the window fronts of the numerous boutique store fronts. A few favorites include the Lazy Daisy and Life is Good on Shore Road, Harbor Candy and Animal Instinct on Main Street and Spoiled Rotten on Beach Street.
5) Visit the Ogunquit Memorial Library. Home to spooky ghost tales in the fall festivals and book drives throughout the year. The library is on Shore Road and about a 10 minute walk from the Resort.
6) Play Tennis or Get a Game of Baseball Going – Just a 15 minutes walk from the Resort is the Mt. Agamenticus park. With public tennis courts and a baseball diamond, you can throw the rackets and gloves in the car and get a game going. All for free.
7) Sing A Long – Show off your best American Idol performances with show tunes upstairs at the Front Porch or karaoke at Maxwell’s. Both are located in the village center, about a 5-10 minute walk from the Resort (we can practically hear the crooning from here!)
8) Stroll the Artist Shacks – Take a left out our south driveway onto Bourne Lane, then a right onto Shore Road until you reach Perkins Cove (about 15-20 minutes walking). Once in Perkins Cove, stroll in and out of artist shacks and galleries to admire the thriving art community of Ogunquit. Quick picks include Beth Ellis Gallery, Swamp Johns (jewelry counts!) and Perkins Pottery Shop.