Winter in Maine is a wonderful time of year to visit. Here’s how to convince your friends and family to take that Maine Vacation – off season.
Snow. Cold temps. It’s a tough sell to head to the Maine Beaches. But hey, here’s hot to tell friends it’s the perfect escape. After all, Maine lobster and shopping at LL Bean happens every day. Walk along the rocky Maine coast of Marginal Way, miles of show shoeing and cross country trails, and no signs of those summer crowds. Just bundle up and go.
These are some of the reasons why winter is the best time of year to come and visit Maine.
So, how do you convince your friends, your family to visit Maine when the snow falls?
Step 1: Book a hotel room at the Meadowmere in Ogunquit Maine.
There are options – resort rooms, family suites, suites with fireplaces, suites with Jacuzzis – even suites with both. We purposely did this so you can convince your family, your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife/partner, your friends – whoever you have in mind for this Maine trip. Heck, winters in Maine are long; you could make several trips out of this campaign.
Step 2: Plan your travel to Maine.
If you’re within driving distance, just hope on 95, take exit 7 in Maine for Ogunquit and presto – winter vacation in Maine. If that’s a bit of a haul, the newly expanded Portland Jetport is just 40 minutes from the hotel and serves a wide variety of airlines. If this finds you carless, fear not – the hotel features TV room, spa, outdoor and indoor Jacuzzis and is walking distance from restaurants, shops, Marginal Way if you feel adventurous. If your trusty car is handy, explore more my friend.
Step 3: Plan to visit attractions.*
Ogunquit’s got some great attractions and things to do, year-round – only now without the crowds. Start with this list of Thing to Do in Southern Maine in the Off Season.
- Walk Marginal Way – Call us crazy but you can bundle up and get one heck of an ocean view. Even better, with snow covering, you can snow shoe the trail, claiming your daily exercise to justify lots of Maine lobster.
- Jam it up – Stonewall Kitchen is just minutes away and free samples abound. From chocolate sauces to Maine blueberry jam to homemade treats, this is a full afternoon of fun – especially if you take a tour or a cooking class (which also involves wine – a nice perk on a winter day).
- Head north – or south and shop, shop, shop – Ok, so if this trip is with your husband, he might feel differently. But you can convince him that heading south to Kittery Outlets (or north to LL Bean) is worth it – Robert’s Maine Grill in Kittery has oysters, flat screen TV and Moxie. And to the north, LL Bean has an entire hunting division. So there. All manly things to do in Maine.
- See what’s brewing in Maine – The Maine Beer scene is amazing. Tully’s in Wells is like a magic carpet ride for beer lovers and Federal Jack’s is just up Rt 1 in Kennebunkport. In a pinch, Cornerstone in Ogunquit brings all that closer – artisan beer and gourmet pizzas. Tasting craft beers in a cozy Maine pub beats the couch at home.
- See old things – as in Antiquing. A snooze fest, you say? Not so fast – the Maine Antiquing corridor has everything from sports memorabilia to Johnson’s Historical Museum to lighthouses. Throw in the thrift stores and you have yourself a regular bazaar of Maine treasures at your fingertips.
- Eat – as in lots. Maine lobster is just the start. From restaurants with ocean venues to classic diners to famous hot dogs. Just eat. It is cold out after all and you need the fuel to survive.
Now, if you follow these steps (very easy 1-2-3), not only with you have convinced your friends, family and neighbors to visit Maine in the winter (heck, you could persuade a total stranger – like ice to eskimos), you’ll actually get some rest and relaxation to boot.
See you this winter!
*This comes with a caveat question ‘What if it snows?’ Built in back up plan – Amenities. Pack the swimsuit and enjoy the hot tubs. The Roman Spa is a salt water therapeutic tub so you can justify havingt to spend hours in it to anyone. And if you need more to relax, massage is available onsite – from the quick 30 minute Swedish (so no one will miss you after you convinced them to take a Maine trip with you) to full 90 minute deep tissue treatments (again, it’s a form of therapy and your friends will be jealous how relaxed you are). Game room means your inner kid can challenge your companion in billiards, air hockey, car racing. The entertainment and subsistence even comes to you – there’s room service and live music on the weekends. You might find yourself cheering FOR snow.