Summer in Maine is amazing and the most popular time of year to visit. Here’s how to convince your friends and family to take that summer vacation in Maine – in peak season.
Crowds. Traffic. Sometimes that makes it a tough sell to head to the Maine Beaches – even with the good weather. No one likes the idea of sitting in a parking lot over relaxing on the beach. But hey, here’s how to tell friends Maine is the perfect escape – summer crowds and all. After all Maine lobster and shopping at L.L. Bean happens every day. Walk along the rocky Maine coast of Marginal Way, miles of soothing ocean sounds and benches to sit and relax on –just close your eyes and breathe fresh Maine ocean air. Just sit back and be aaah-muzed (Maine speak for amused) by the touristy clothing.
These are some reasons why summer is the best month to come and visit Ogunquit Maine.
So, how do you convince your friends, your family to visit Maine when the crowds are upon us?
Step 1: Book a hotel room at the Meadowmere in Ogunquit Maine.
There are options – resort rooms, family suites, suites with fireplaces, suites with Jacuzzis – even suites with both. We purposely did this so you can convince your family, your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife/partner, your friends – whoever you have in mind for this Maine trip. Heck, summertime in Maine is brief and sweet; you could make several trips out of this campaign
by convincing your sister, husband and that book club you never made it to that you need several doses of Ogunquit Beach time to survive. Seasonal Affective Disorder and all.
Step 2: Plan your travel to Ogunquit Maine.
If you’re within driving distance, just hop on 95, take exit 7 for Ogunquit and presto – summer vacation in Maine. If that’s a bit of a haul and the idea of the York Maine Toll in summer causes a twitch in the upper left eye lid of your potential companion, the newly expanded Portland Jetport is just 40 minutes from the hotel, and serves a wide variety of airlines. If this finds you carless, fear not – the hotel features TV room, spa, outdoor and indoorJacuzzi and is walking distance from restaurants, shops, Ogunquit Beach and Marginal Way if you feel adventurous. If your trusty car is handy, explore more my friend – just remind your travel companions to be patient about parking and
that out of state SUV doing 2mph on Route 1 to see the ‘locals’.
Step 3: Plan to visit attractions.*
Ogunquit’s got some great attractions and things to do, year round – from Ogunquit Playhouse to lobster tours. Start with this list of Things to Do in Southern Maine in the Summer.
- Walk Marginal Way – Call us crazy but you can enjoy this ocean walk even with the hustle and bustle (they even have benches to sit and take it all in). It is one heck of an ocean view. Even better, you can hit the trail, claim your daily exercise and justify a Maine lobster roll in Perkins Cove.
- Jam it up – Stonewall Kitchen is just minutes away and free samples abound. From chocolate sauces to Maine blueberry jam to homemade treats, this is a full afternoon of fun – especially if you take a tour or a cooking class (which also involves wine – a nice perk when beating the summer heat).
- Head north – or south and shop, shop, shop – Ok,so if this trip is with your husband, he might feel differently, especially if he’s driving in traffic. But if you can convince him the heading south to Kittery Outlets, it is worth it – Roberts Maine Grill has oysters, flat screen tv and Moxie. And to the north, LL Bean has an entire hunting division. So there. All manly things to do in Maine.
- See what’s brewing in Maine – The Maine Beer scene is amazing. Tully’s in Wells is like a magic carpet ride for beer lovers and Federal Jack’s is just up Rt 1 in Kennebunkport. In pinch, Cornerstone in Ogunquit brings all that closer – artisan beer and gourmet pizzas. Tasting craft beers on an outdoor patio in Maine beats the back deck at home.
- See old things – as in Antiquing. A snooze fest, you say? Not so fast – the Maine Antiquing corridor has everything from sports memorabilia to Johnson’s Historical Museum to lighthouses. Throw in the thrift stores and you have yourself a regular bazaar of Maine treasures at your
- Eat – as in lots. Maine lobster is just the start. From restaurants with ocean venues to classic diners to famous hot dogs. Just eat. Summer heat takes a lot out of you after all and you need the fuel to survive.
Now, if you follow these steps (very easy 1-2-3), not only will you have convinced your friends, family and neighbors to visit Maine in the summer, you’ll actually get some rest and relaxation to boot at our new outdoor pool.
See you this Summer in Ogunquit!
*This comes with a caveat question ‘What if it rains on my summer vacation?’ Built in back up plan – Amenities. Pack the swimsuit and enjoy the pools. The Roman Spa is a salt water therapeutic tub so you can justify having to spend hours in it to anyone and the Outdoor Pool and Cabana is brand new. And if you need more to relax, massage is available onsite – from the quick 30 minute Swedish (so no one will miss you after you convinced them to take a Maine trip with you) to full 90 minute deep tissue treatments (again, it’s a form of therapy and your friends will be jealous at how relaxed you are). Air conditioned game room means your inner kid can challenge your companion in
billiards, air hockey, car racing. The entertainment and subsistence even comes to you – there’s poolside service from our pub and live music on weekends. You might find yourself cheering FOR rain.