Vroom, vroom! There is something special about a classic car. And some of the cars that joined us for the Great Race 2014 were so old, they had wooden wheels! Wow! Ogunquit Maine was the starting line for the Great Race, which began at the Main Beach in Ogunquit and will complete 2100 miles later in Florida. Check out our Ogunquit resort’s facebook page for images and links. With over 100 vintage cars and an enormous support staff, Ogunquit certainly kicked off the season in good company! Summer at our Maine resort is a special time and starting the summer with Tommy cars, punch buggies, Cadillacs, Bentleys and Hudson cars made this past week at the Meadowmere Resort an amazing experience. Now this was a multi year planning process to create the 2014 Great Race – but that doesn’t mean a car fan has to work that hard to enjoy Southern Maine.
Here are some tips on planning a car club outing in Ogunquit:
- Get together: Reserve early enough to have a block of rooms – say 20 or more – set aside. This allows the group you are bringing to Maine to be close together. One of the most popular locations at the Meadowmere Resort is the Country Squire. With shared patios, the club can hang out outside together, as well as have easy access to the cars. Heck, our hotel even has a hose hook up just in case there’s a little dirt in a wheel!
- Get Food: One of the most challenging activities to plan is a group meal. Renting a restaurant or finding one that is large enough can be time consuming and expensive. Have no fear – the Eat Drink Be Merry package can be modified to accommodate a group with breakfast onsite (so one can get up and get going – see point 3) and dinner at Jonathan’s Restaurant (so one can have fun with all the club members – see point 1). Best part is after driving up to the Meadowmere Resort, your car club can register and unwind with a wine welcome.
- Get Driving: Southern Maine is perfect for day trip driving from the Meadowmere Resort. From corvette clubs to Porsche to classic cars to Harleys (hey bikes count too!), no matter what you drive, you will enjoy Ogunquit. To the north, Kennebunkport, South Portland, Portland have museums, shopping and scenic drives by Walker Point, lighthouses and Old Port. To the west, Sanford, Berwicks and Eliot have antiques, country side and some of the best spots to grab an ice cream cone. To the south, York, Kittery and Portsmouth have beaches, history and Mt. Agamenticus, Southern Maine’s highest point. An easy drive to feel on top of the world. And not a bad spot to enjoy that ice cream cone!
In Ogunquit Maine, at our Ogunquit hotel, a car or motorcycle club can explore all day and relax all night. And on the off chance that you need a break from driving, the Meadowmere Resort is a few minutes walk to Marginal Way, Ogunquit village and Ogunquit Beach. Sometimes a walk is just the right pace to enjoy our special Maine home. Speaking of parking, here’s this weeks service stories :
- Joining our Ogunqut hotel for the first time can be disorientating. You’ve just arrived, want to park, settle in , unpack and unwind. Whitney noticed a guest checking in to the Main building was a bit turned around. While helping the guest find her room, she asked about help with the luggage. The guest then remembered that her sister had been in the parking lot this whole time waiting to figure out the best place to park. The guest couldn’t believe she had forgotten all about that! Whitney said please do not worry and then went to get the sister, directing the car to the ideal place and showing the sister where the room was. The guest inside was so grateful, she gave Whitney a big hug.
- Our Roman Spa is exciting. So much so that guests often forget to bring along pool towels. When Trisha spotted guests looking for the Roman Spa, she noticed that they did not have an pool towels. The guests then asked where to get them – Trish let the guests know that towels are available at the front desk but she would be happy to go get them towels so they could begin to enjoy the Spa. The guests were thrilled to be able to jump right in!