Southern Maine Chocolate Delight
They say chocolate is the food of the gods. Well, it’s definitely divine. Especially right here in Maine, where local chocolatiers are cooking up more than a couple of sweet treats. From the world famous – and life size! – chocolate Moose to hand crafted truffles, Southern Maine is home to some of the best chocolate creations in New England.
In other words, you’ve hit the sweet spot.
Good chocolate takes time. Not only must the chocolate maker select great beans, but they must work with their farmers to ensure that the beans are optimally fermented and optimally dried. Once the beans arrive, they must be cleaned properly, roasted precisely, winnowed carefully, ground gently, blended tastefully, refined smoothly, and finally conched lovingly. All this takes time and attention to detail coupled with a commitment to do what’s best for the chocolate (and therefore, the chocolate lover – you!)
And each chocolate maker has their specialty – from artisan bars to vegan concoctions to chocolate tartlets (yeah, that’s right – mini chocolate pies). You might have to make a couple of trips to visit them all.
Whether you start north or south of our Ogunquit hotel, the Meadowmere is in the heart of an amazing stretch of Southern Maine Chocolatiers. When you arrive, settle into our hotel to relax and unwind. Take a dip in the Roman Spa with swirling salt waters. Head into town for dinner (cause one of those chocolate makers is steps away in the village) or ask us for a recommendation to a nearby restaurant.
Southern Maine Chocolate Trail stays are best made October 1 – June 30 and include breakfast to fuel up for the day, wifi to research the next chocolate maker, amenity access to relax post trail in our Roman Spa, and parking for when the day is done!
So pack your sweet tooth and get ready to indulge in Maine!
The Southern Maine Chocolate Trail:
- Chocolate Shop: Byrne & Carlson
- Specialty: Fresh Cream Truffles
- Chocolate Shop: Divine Chocolates
- Specialty: The Nibble on the Nubble Bar
- Chocolate Shop: Harbor Candy Shoppe
- Specialty: Vanilla Bean Pods, Fudge & so much more
- Chocolate Shop: Perkins Cove Candies
- Specialty: Chocolate Salt Water Taffy
- Chocolate Shop: Len Libby
- Specialty: Lenny, the life size chocolate Moose
- Chocolate Shop: Haven’s Chocolates
- Specialty: Meltaways
- Chocolate Shop: Black Dinah Chocolates
- Specialty: Whiskey Rye Caramels
Just Off the Chocolate Trail . . .
- Eats at Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier
- Sights at Fort McClary and Fort Foster
- History at Old York Museums & Gaol
- Arts at the George Marshall Old Store & Gallery
- Sights of the Ogunquit Museum of American Art
- Eats at Cornerstone Lobster Pizza, Village Food Market Italian Stallion or Randy’s Red Eye Coffee
- Sights at Drake’s Island
- Conservation at Rachel Carlson Wildlife Preservation & Laudholm Farm
- Sights at Higgins Beach
- Discover the Winslow Homer House
- Stroll Riverwalk North
- Eats at The Frog & Turtle
Rates are based on double occupancy exclusive of taxes and is offered for dates noted subject to change and extra person charges. Not applicable to groups and cannot be combined with any getaway package or promotional discount. Subject to availability and may be discontinued at any time. Additional blackout dates may apply and arrival dates required as noted.
Check-in is any time after 2p. Check-out is 11a. Credit card guarantee of first nights rate plus tax is required to confirm reservations. Higher rates possible during holiday weekends and special events/high season. A deposit refund, minus only a $25 Processing Fee, is made up to 11p seven days prior to the day of arrival. Deposits are Non-Refundable within seven days prior to the day of arrival. Specific location and room requests honored whenever possible, but not guaranteed. All rooms non-smoking. No pets.
*Lowest Starting Rate Listed Not Available Entire Period*
*Starting rates based on starting standard room accommodations.*
*Above attractions are suggestions and subject to change.*